Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Amoxicillin 875mg BID x 10 days, Please

Ordinarily, I'm not a wimp about being sick. However--I'm NOT good at being sick when pregnant. I get that some women are just naturally perky and optimistic when pregnant regardless of what's going on, and that's just freaking fantastic for them. I, however, appreciate symptom-management agents when I'm sick, and most of those agents are strictly forbidden when with child. Here's my woe-ridden story:

Last Tuesday, I left work not feeling great. By the time I got to daycare, I was feeling worse. By the time Rachael and I got home, all I could think about was curling up into a ball (or as close to a ball as my preggo belly would let me) and being unconscious. Luckily, my attentive husband answered his phone at work on the second ring (yay David!) and agreed to high-tail it home.

I'm sure he was really excited to hurry home to a puking wife. What a guy...

Since last Tuesday, I've waded through a stomach virus, infections in both ears, and infections in both eyes. Note: I do not live in a shelter, and I do clean my house regularly. I blame this current rash of illness on my job...easy target, right? But really, I was working at the hospital the last two weeks (instead of my regularly-Lysoled corporate office space...) and spent some quality time on the pediatric unit. My immune system has no chance against the onslaught it encounters every time I walk onto a peds floor. I should have seen it coming...NO MORE PEDS FLOORS UNLESS I'M IN A FULL HAZMAT SUIT.

Anyway...

After realizing that I'm not going to get better without drugs, I phoned my OB/GYN's office on Thursday and pathetically ran down my litney of symptoms. As soon as the nurse heard "pinkeye," she paused, put me on hold, then came back and told me to call my family doctor. Sigh. Family doctor is not going to be thrilled to see a sickly pregnant woman; I've been down this road before. Irritated, I hang up on the nurse and called my family doctor's office...cleverly omitting any mention of being pregnant. Figure I'll cross that bridge after they agree to see me. By this point, I've infected Rachael with a few of my illnesses--she has pinkeye and the lovely hacking cough that's kept me up for the last few days. So I pack up the two of us, and we cough our way to the doctor's office, gooey eyes and all.

Family doctor's partner (a lovely woman who was recently pregnant herself!) walked into the room, looked at my red, crusty eyes and my ample belly and said "your OB/GYN didn't want you anywhere near her waiting room, did she? Well, no prob!" I was so relieved. She checked Rach and I over. Augmentin suspension and eye drops for Rachael. Amoxicillin, eye drops, and ear drops for me. All e-prescribed to our neighborhood CVS. Love it.

Off to CVS we go. This should be the end of my woe-ridden story...

Pharmacy tech comes to the drive-up window (thank you, God, for drive-through pharmacies!) and says "um, can you come back in 20 minutes?" I grumble and say sure... Drive off and figure I'll get Rachael and me a quick snack. One Panera scone later, Rachael and I are back at CVS for our drugs. Pharmacist comes to the window. "Mrs. Baker, we have all of Rachael's medicines prepared, but we can only fill two days of your amoxicillin prescription. We're short." At this point, she could have told me that they were going to have to inject the amoxicillin into my stomach every 6 hours and I wouldn't have cared. I just wanted to be lying down. So I take my two days of drugs and all of Rachael's remedies and home we went.

Two days later, I was able to get the rest of of my amoxicillin and am on the road to recovery. Unreal that they ran out of such a common drug--they really had to hunt for it, too. Seems like *everyone* is sick right now! At least the world will have one less sick, miserable, grumbling pregnant woman now that I'm on the mend. ;-)

Here's hoping that I can make it to May without more plague!

No comments: