Saturday, August 4, 2007

Pets are kids, too


We have three cats, and if there's one thing you learn as a pet owner, it's this: pets are your kids too. Nothing makes this more clear than when your furry kids are sick. Frankie, our Siamese, has been sick for the past few weeks and it's heartbreaking. Like a baby, she can't tell me where it hurts, or what's really wrong--so her vet and I keep trying to figure it out without her help. She's going back to the vet tomorrow and hopefully this time we'll find the right cure for her. Until then, she's a prisoner in our half-bath; she's been having accidents so the bathroom is really the only place for her right now.

Frankie is very special to me. My "first born," Frankie was a stray cat who found me while I was living in a big apartment complex about seven years ago. She was around nine months old then, and I remember being astounded that someone would abandon such a beautiful cat. She has amazing blue eyes--I've never seen a cat with eyes like that. Anyway, I adopted her and she has been my most fierce ally ever since (just ask anyone who's ever gotten the evil eye from Frankie...).

Sigh.

On a lighter note, Rachael and I have been keeping ourselves busy this weekend. I took Friday off so Rachael and I did what you'd expect of girls with time on their hands: we went shoe shopping. :) It's so cool to see her taking in what's going on around her; however, I suspect the ladies at the shoe store were less than thrilled to see how driven Rach was to grab at every display we walked by. She seems to understand that Frankie is sick, too--she keeps crawling over to the bathroom door where Frankie is and just sits at the door and babbles. She doesn't bang on the door or try to open it (like she does with all other doors these days...). Yes, I know Rachael probably has no idea, but it's nice to think that she's trying to make Frankie more comfortable during her sentence in the half-bath.

Here are a few sassy pics from this weekend. She's starting to get the hang of this sippy-cup thing, but at this point she still thinks it's more fun to just chew on the handles.



No comments: